History of Dwarika Nath Ghosal Sabdaha Ghat ( Burning Ghat )
The History of Dwarika Nath Ghosal sabdaha ghat (Burning Ghat) is mainly a Profile of development made in three phases covering almost the entire Period of 20th Century.
1st phase :-
104 Years ago, in the year 1916,burning ghat was established by the side of the Swaraswati Basin at Domjur Village on a few plots of lands contributed by the local people at the approach of the then founder of this burning ghat, Late Dwarika Nath Ghosal, a resident of North jhapordah Village who made it possible with the help and active co-operation of the local people . Initially , no such activities other than cremation of dead-bodies was heard conducted except observing a yearly festival of kali , the mother ( Deity) in the month of August ( in Kousi Amabasya). This festival had been continuing since then as usally. Subsequently , two rooms on the ground floor, one as small temple of the Deity and another in front of the then Cremation area, possible for sheltering persons carrying the dead-bodies erected by two benevolent persons of the locality named after Thandaram Das , a resident of North Jhapordah (Rath tala) and Late Natabor Ghosh of South Jhapordah respectively.
With the Passing of time , possibly since 1940, the situation become detorieted for want of any powerful committee or proper supervision etc.this condition contimued for more then two decades the alarming condition drew attention of some local people who were reported brought the matter to the notice of the then veteran politician, social worker and ex-Jilla Parishad chairman of Howrah District, a resident of North Jhapordah, Late Biswaratan Ganguly who afterwards took initiative and formed a non-register committee to control the situation.
It was 1978, Biswaratan babu took charge of the committee as secretary with other important Personalities as committee members and Parishad members. It was time when actual development took place. The old small temple was demolished and a new beautiful one was built on the some place. New Stonebody image of mother kali named as “Ananda Moyee Ma” having two hands as dreamt of by Krishnananda Agambagis , the pioneer in Bengal for worshiping mother kali ( Deity ) was established . This stone – body image was dedicated by Late Ananda Das of Parbatipur village in his father’s name in 1981 , on the right side of the mother’s temple , Late Dr.Umapada Hazra built a temple of lord Shiva where a phallic image of shiva was established in the name of “umananda shiva” Daily worshiping of “Ananda Moyee ma” and “Umananda shiva” was started from this time through appointing a residential Priest .
During this phase of development existing cremation ground was shifted to the back protion of the burning ghat in order to maintain environment and sanctity of the temple . Late Biswanath Das of North jhapordah village had contributed to make the Programme success .
3rd phase :-
After demise of Biswaratan babu Collective leadership come into being in the administration of the burning ghat . In 2008, the Constitution of Dwarikanath Ghosal sabdaha ghat committee was registered under W.B. Societies Act ,1961. People, out of the Surrounding villages used to represent in the parishad (General body) and committee through election . In this way the organization had achived it’s legal status.
The development took place during this time were as follows :-
- Temple was separated from burning ghat by irecting high walls and suitable gates to maintain sanctity and security of the temple area.
- To remove difficulties at the time of cremation of dead-body , during rainy season, a strong iron structure having shade upon it had been created with the sole contribution of Mukherjee Jewelers a renowned gold marchant at Domjur, Howrah.
- A water reserver had been kept ready particulary , during summer season to remove water scarcity.
- Electric light had been provided to the burning ghat at night for cremation purpose.
- The way to reach to the burning ghat had been fully cemented . The work was done under supervision of Domjur Panchayat Samiti.
- A brick-built room equipped with Fan and Electricity Facilities along the side of the burning ghat having accommodation of 60-70 people had been made available to people carrying dead-bodies and their companions.
- On 2015, Centenary Hall of Dwarikanath Ghosal sabdaha ghat was built on the contribution of good many benevolent people of our locality whose names had also been inscribed on the nameplates. During this time, dilapidated cooking room used for preparation of daily foods of “Ananda moyee ma” and “Umananda shiva” was reconstructed Dwelling room for the Priest was also constructed to the First floor . A new office room for the use of committee members which was so long not available had been constructed.